Kombucha is a sweet, fizzy drink made of yeast, sugar, and fermented tea, similar to cultured yogurt, kefir, kimchi and sauerkraut.
The fermentation process builds up the number of good bacteria making it rich in probiotics. Probiotics are live microorganisms that are said to provide health benefits by improving your gut flora (microorganisms that live in your digestive tract).
It has a number of potential health benefits, including following;
- Improving digestion and diabetes
- Strengthening the immune system
- Reducing blood pressure
- Being detoxifying
As Kombucha is a fermented drink, it tends to have a pronounced sour taste which is sometimes masked depending on the flavour you selected. These are a few of my favourite Kombucha’s.
- Booch – if you are based in Kenya, Booch is worth a try! I like that this brand is 100% Kenyan and is made using premium Kenyan Oolong Tea, Fresh Strawberries, Raspberries, Blueberries, Ginger and herbs. Available at HealthyU, Zucchini and a number of other spots around the city!
- Equinox Organic Kombucha – this is definitely my favourite, its very light and easy to drink. Available in six different flavours and can be purchased at Waitrose for those in the UK.
- Remedy Kombucha – the Raspberry & Lemonade flavour by Remedy is really good however does have more of a fermented taste. I tend to get this every now and again from Marks & Spencer in the UK.
- Woolworths Food – if you’re in South Africa, Woolworths make a delicious Raspberry Ceylon Tea flavoured sparkling Kombucha.
I personally try to have Kombucha once every couple of weeks or after a course of medication to boost up my good bacteria again.
Let me know if you’re keen on Kombucha or if its just not for you! LB x